panchmel dal recipe | rajasthani panchratna dal | rajasthani style dal with details photos and video recipe. protein pack -Authentic Rajasthani style dal recipe prepared with 5 different types of lentil mix.basically this dal is a bit spicy yet very simple when comes to its taste. This dal is very easy to prepare. This dal goes best with rajasthani bati. I used to enjoy this dal with my simple rice 😉
panchmel dal recipe | rajasthani panchratna dal | rajasthani style dal with details photos and video recipe. When it comes to any dal /lentils, They are considered as “the staple food” in India. It is believed that the lentils/dal are as old as Harrapan culture. lentils also considered as a staple in Harrapan time too.
It is also believed that “Panchratna Dal” was first mentioned in “Mahabharata” where Kunti and then after Draupadi used to cook this 5 lentils to elaborate royal cuisine and also to fulfill the Pandavas need of nutrition, during their exile. There are 5 Pandava brothers and this Dal is specially prepared for them. “panchratna” means “5/five jewels” and Pandavas are the 5 jewels of hastinapur kingdom.
I was introduced to this dal during my regular dal recipes searching.Now you guys already know, that I am dal chawal lover 😉 so, cooking dal is one of the things I enjoy the MOST. I don’t know how many of you like the Indian dals but I would love to know so drop your comments & I will catch you there.
The most beautiful part if any Indian dal recipe is the creamy texture and the spices are used to prepare dals. You may find the same ingredients in some of the Indian dal recipes but they really taste different in each dal recipe and that is the beauty of Indian cooking.
The lentils originally used for this panchratna / panchmel dal were:
- toor dal /pigeon peas split
- moth dal
- chana dal / bengal gram
- sabut urad dal / black gram
- moong dal – green gram
However, I am using red lentils/masoor dal here instead of moth dal. This dal tastes best when dollop of ghee/clarified butter added on the top. I prepared ghee tadka instead of plain ghee. so, enjoy the recipe 🙂
recipe card for panchmel dal recipe | rajasthani panchratna dal recipe | rajasthani style dal recipe:
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 2 tbsp urad dal kali whole black gram
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp moong dal
- 1 tbsp masoor dal
- 2 tsbp oil
- 2 nos dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp cumins
- 1 tbsp ginger chilli garlic paste
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 cup onions chopped |1 medium
- 1.4 cup tomatoes chopped | 1 medium
- salt to taste
- a pinch of garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 - 2.5 cups water to boil dal
- 2 tbsp ghee /clarified butter
- a pinch of cumins
- a pinch of red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger & garlic
- 1 dry red chilli
wash you dals and soak it for 30 mins.
add the soaked dals in pressure cooker. add water.
Boil the dal for 5 whistles on medium flame.
heat oil in pan.
add asafoetida when cumins are crackled.
add ginger chilli garlic paste.
add onions,dry red chillies and turmeric powder.
add tomatoes.add salt,coriander powder,garam masala and red chilli powder.
cook the mixture for 2 mins.
add boiled dal.
boil your dal for 7-8 mins.
add dry red chilli and ginger garlic paste.
add red chili powder and keep the tadka aside.
check if your dal is boiled well.
pour tadka on the top.
Garnish with coriander. serve hot.
- you can use moong dal OR sabut moong /whole green gram as well. both tastes same.
- Ghee tadka is my variation which is totally optional. You use plain ghee instead of tadka.
how to make panchmel dal recipe | rajasthani panchratna dal recipe with step by step photos:
- wash you dals and soak it for 30 mins.
- add the soaked dals in a pressure cooker. add water.
- Boil the dal for 5 whistles on medium flame.
- heat oil in pan.
- add cumins.
- add asafoetida when cumins are crackled.
- add ginger chili garlic paste.
- add onions, dry red chilies and turmeric powder.
- saute it.
- add tomatoes.add salt, coriander powder,garam masala and red chili powder.
- cook the mixture for 2 mins.
- add boiled dal.
- Add water to adjust consistency.
- boil your dal for 7-8 mins.
More From the Blog:
- dal fry recipe | how to make restaurant style dal fry
- Yellow dal fry recipe, how to make moong dal fry restaurant style at home
- Kashmiri dal tadka recipe, how to make dal kashmiri at home
- Dal Pakhtooni Recipe , how to make pakhtuni dal at home,Sanjeev kapoor dal Pakhtoon
- aloo jeera recipe | jeera aloo fry recipe | how to make aloo jeera recipe