“how to write an article/recipe ” is a quick guide I am sharing for the curry nation contributors. Curry nation is a platform to find your favorite recipes, videos, health tips and our NEWLY added feature – “Find best restaurants in your town”. So basically your article should be one of the following formats.
- Recipe Post
- Health Tips
- Restaurant reviews
Please follow the format according to your article type.
- Recipe Post: –
- Each recipe consists a lot of different parts.
- TITLEThe Title constitutes the most important part of every recipe. your title should be clear. avoid using long titles. try to add | in your titles . try to avoid capital letters in your titles.Example:
panipuri recipe | puchka recipe with 3 different panis
how to make malai paneer at home | malai paneer recipe
The description is very important for the recipe post. your recipe description should contain 200 words at least. you can even include your personal stories regarding recipe to give your PERSONAL touch to the recipe. Your description should be divided in 2 parts .
- First Section can be short:
- What is the recipe about? – Talk about the recipe and what ingredients it is made with using what cooking method.
- Is it easy? If so how long does it take to cook?
- Will be great for parties?
- Can it be packed for a lunch box?
- Any nutrition benefits that you can highlight?
- Any cooking techniques you want o highlight?
- Most important – You have to end it with – How to serve and when to serve and what to serve it along with.
- Second section can be long:
- Do I have to give any credits to a book, family member, friend author?
- Do you want to mention any shortcomings or alternative methods of cooking or ingredients?
- your personal stories regarding the recipes.
- recommendation for ingredients, methods and quick tips
- If your recipe has too many ingredients, then split it into sections and try not to use ingredients if they are unnecessary.
- Most of the time people want a speedy and simple dish, so it’s good to keep a short list of ingredients without overcomplicating the list.
Order of Listing an Ingredient(MUST FOLLOW this format): “Quantity” “Measure” “Ingredient”, “Process” (if any)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- an inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- a small bunch of coriander leaves
- salt and chilli powder to taste
- oil for cooking
Bad Example of Listing the Ingredients
- 1 tsp mustard sd (no short forms please)
- 1 tbsp, honey
- big cabbage, chopped to 1 cup
- ½ cup of onion chopped (oh, how many onions will I need?)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (very hard to understand)
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves (oh please, make it a stalk or a small bunch, how much will I cut for a teaspoon?)
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Review if you have listed your ingredients in the order they will appear in the method. Once you have written the method of instructions, read it aloud as that helps you see if your method instruction has anything that is missing and if it is flowing in the correct order
- It is also important not to assume that your reader understands a particular method of cooking. Be detailed and explain the process well.
- Mention the heat of the cooking medium (high heat, low or medium heat).
- Mention the size of the cooking vessel or the type like a heavy bottomed pan, a wok, or a skillet, a frying pan, a deep frying pan, a large mixing bowl, medium size sauce pan, an 8 inch pan etc.
- Keep sentences short and concise as possible. You can write as many sentences, but keep them short, longer sentences will confuse the cook.
- Write about every step of the process, including turn the heat to low, simmering, adding water, salts, etc. Write a recipe as if you are talking to someone and not just for records.
- Mention the time it takes to do a particular step before you can move on.
- Example 1: simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is soft and cooked. This means, the user will cook for plus or minus 15 minutes until they know that rice is cooked.
- Example 2: Bake for 25 minutes at 180 C or until the crust is golden brown
- Separate each step into different paragraphs. If you are mixing dry ingredients in a bowl, for example, use one paragraph for all the instructions for that step.
- Finally end with how you will serve it and with what it can be served it (if needed), if it can be stored for a long period, how many days before preparation for the dish can begin.
- Apart from the above the other finer points to keep in mind
TOTAL TIME TAKEN
- This gives an approximate time for prepping and cooking, and helps the reader pace his time that way or plan to cook a meal in that time.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS
- Make sure your recipe at least delivers 3 to 4 servings. If your recipes are cooking for 10- 12 servings, then a person, who is not able to gauge the ingredient content, will end up having a lot of wastage. Keep it small and simple.
- This tells the user how many servings the dish provides. Avoid mentioning how many people can it. For a voracious eater, he could finish a bowl that can actually serve 4 people. So it’s always good to mention how many servings.
- Good photographs along with the Title makes the user want to go over the recipe. Invest in good camera’s lights or even a photographer if you need to take out of the box pictures for your food.
- Dont forget to add notes. This is where your creativity comes in. You tell the user, what differenly you did and why. Or any other thoughts that went in your mind while you created this recipe. Or tips on any other equipment that you can use that will benefit.
- Health tips :-
- take a look this post for a specific format :- example post
- include 1 photo atleast.
- follow the title format as -” benefit of <your ingredint> “, “benefits of peanut oil “
- if you are submitting specific tips for your skin , hairs etc then follow the title format as – ” how to keep your hairs healthy ” OR ” remedies for dry skin” OR “Natural ermedies to fight acne “
- remember, This is not a beauty blog. Share your tips on kitchen remedies.
- Restaurant reviews:-
- Title MUST have the name of the restaurant and location.
- Example : – Barbeque Nation, Thane Review
- Include at-least 1 photo of the restaurant.
- Share your experience, ambiance, service and MUST TRY foods in 200-300 words.
*All the images must have the copyright. If you are sharing images from the internet, PLEASE MENTION the source of the images in your text editors.
*Recipes should have original photos taken by contributor itself.
*DO NOT SUBMIT SPONSOR CONTENT. if you want to showcase your product, READ HERE.
If you don’t follow the rules, your chances are 0 to get approved.
Still, Do you have any doubts ?? , Reach me at [email protected]