Dahi aloo / Punjabi aloo kadhi recipe with step by step photos:- Dahi aloo is very famous and tasty north Indian recipe in which boiled potatoes are cooked with creamy yet simple and tangy yogurt sauce. In this recipe, yogurt sauce is cooked with very basic spices. You don’t need to worry about that fancy spices’ availability. Dahi ke Aloo can be served with Rotis and Parathas, but in Uttar Pradesh, it is usually served with Methi Bajra Poori, Kachori or Bedvi Pooris.
I am sharing here a family version of this dahi ke aloo which I learned from my neighbor aunty. I learned many authentic north Indian recipes from her.This curd based potato gravy is one of them. Many more recipes are coming on the blog in future.
It is a regular eats in my home in those busy days as this recipe is very quick. This recipe looks and tastes similar to a kadhi. You can also serve this as a fasting food/vrat ka khana, in which case you may substitute chili powder with black pepper powder if you avoid eating chili powder during fasting. You may also serve this with Kuttu poori, Rajgiri Poori or with Sabudana Thalipeeth.
recipe card fro Dahi Aloo recipe, how to make punjabi dahi aloo :
- 1 cup curd / yogurt
- 1 tsp gram flour / besan
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes boiled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 nos fenugreek seeds / methi dana
- a pinch of asafoetida / hing
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5-6 nos garlic cloves chopped/minced
- 1 medium green chilies chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- a pinch of garam masala optional
- 1/4 tsp kasoori methi optional
- fresh coriander for garnishing
take a mixing bowl.
Add curd and besan in that.
whisk the mixture well. avoid lumps. keep it aside.
Chop all the necessary ingredients first and keep it aside.
heat oil in Kadai.
add jeera and methi dana. Add asafoetida when they crackle.
Add garlic and green chilies and saute it for a while.
Add onion and turmeric powder. mix well. saute the mixture for a while.
Add boiled potatoes. Add garam masala,salt and coriander powder. Mix well.
Add curd mixture and mix.
boil the mixture for 5-7 mins on medium flame.
sprinkle coriander and serve hot.
- This gravy is very thick in consistency. Adjust the consistency of curd as per your liking. however, I shared my personal favorite measurement.
Dahi Aloo recipe, how to make punjabi dahi aloo , aloo kadhi recipe with step by step photos:
- take a bowl and transfer curd in it.mean while boil your potatoes.
- add besan and Whisk the mixture well. avoid lumps.
- heat oil in pan.
- add cumins and methi dana.
- when they crackle add asafoetida.
- add green chilies and garlic.
- add onions. Add turmeric powder and mix well. saute the mixture.
- add potatoes.
- mix well.
- Add curd mixture and mix well.
- keep stirring for 3-4 mins.
- Sprinkle some coriander.
- Serve hot.
- kadhi pakora recipe | punjabi kadhi recipe | kadi pakoda recipe
- aloo jeera recipe | jeera aloo fry recipe | how to make aloo jeera recipe
- aloo tikki recipe, aloo patties recipe | crispy potato pattie recipe
- palak paneer recipe | how to make punjabi palak paneer gravy recipe
- rajma masala recipe | how to make punjabi rajma masala recipe