Recipe : Palak Paneer/Indian cottage cheese in Spinach GravyPriya Joshi | Feb 27, 2015 | Be the first to comment!
Here is my another recipe which is originally from Punjab -state of India, but now a days very famous in all over the country. That is Palak Pander.
Palak Paneer is a dish consisting of Spinach and cottage cheese in a thick curry sauce based on spinach puree. This popular vegetarian dish is a type of Saag which can be made with Mustard leaves.
So here are the ingredients,
- Palak/spinach - 1 bunch
- Paneer/cottage cheese - around 150 gm
- Green chili -2-3
- Garlic cloves -5-6
- Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
- Onion - 1 medium size
- Tomato - 1 medium size
- Fresh cream - 3 tbsp
- Oil - 2 and 1/2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Garam masala - a pinch
- Water - 4-5 cups (for boiling leaves)
- Haldi/turmaric powder - 1/2tsp
- Red chili powder - 1tsp
- First , in a deep vessel add water and washed spinach leaves and blanch them for 4-5 mins.after that remove flame and drain leaves and immediately pour cold water on spinach leaves.
- In a mixture jar,add onion,tomato,ginger,garlic and green chili.crush them finely( smooth paste).
- In another mixture jar,Blend spinach leaves to a smooth puree.
- Now heat oil in pan. Add onion tomato paste and saute it till gravy leaves oil in pan.
- Add red chili powder,turmaric powder,salt and mix it very well.
- Now,add spinach puree and mix well.
- Cook this gravy for 2 mins. Mean while boil water in another pan and add paneer cubes into boiling water.leave pander cubes in water for 1 mins.( DO NOT LEAVE CUBES MORE THAN 1 MIN) and drain it
- Add paneer cubes in spinach gravy,add garam masala and fresh cream .mix them well.
- Serve hot with Roti,Naan Paratha.it also taste great with Cheesy Palak Paratha
- In 7th step I mentioned one small process of paneer,leaving paneer in boiling water for a minute makes paneer soft and white.
- In this recipe I use Homamde fresh cream for creamy texture.you can replace cream with cashewnut and melon seed paste.
- You can avoid onion and tomato puree.if you don't want to use onion and tomato gravy,use only ginger,garlic and green chili paste. It tastes good...
- DO NOT OVER COOK SPINACH ,as overcooking not only affect the bright green color of leaves but also the taste.