Dahiwada is a popular snack recipe made with lentil dumpling which are dunked in a creamy yoghurt and topped with different chutneies like Coriender Chutney,Garlic Chutney and Tamarind Chutney.
Dahiwada can be serves as a snacks or sometimes as a part of the meal.The wadas can be made a day in advance and refrigerated.
So let's move on the recipe.......
Ingredients For wadas:
- Split black gram skinless /urad daal -1 cup
- Rice - 1/2 cup
- Yellow Moong Dal - 1 tbsp
- Bengal Gram split - 1 tbsp
- Salt -to taste
- Soda bicarb /cooking soda - a pinch
- Oil - for deep fry
- Water for boiling
- Red chilli powder - a pinch
- Coriander leaves,chopped - as per need
- Sev - 1 tbsp
- Coriender powder - a pinch
- Wash and drain urad daal,Rice and the other two dal.
- Soak all together for 5 hours atleast.
- After soaking, Drain them well and put this daal in mixture jar.
- Grind daal with a salt to a coarse paste.Cover this paste with lid and allow to be set well for 5 hours in warm place. If you are in hurry you can add 2 tbsp of curd as well to the paste and then keep it aside for 3 min. (this will help to ferment batter).
- Heat oil in deep pan.
- Now,add soda bicarb into the batter and mix well till the batter is light and fluffy.
- Take a small amount of batter in your hands put slowly into the oil.You can even use spoon.
- Cook this wadas on medium flame until golden brown.
- Keep aside....
- Whisk yogurt well and add Salt and sugar.Add chopped green chili as well.
- Now,Prepare Tadka.
- For that,Heat 1/2 tsp Oil in pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.When they crackle add Curry leaves.
- Pour this tadka into the yoghurt and cover with lid.
- Put this yogurt in refrigerator.
- Boil water in pan.
- Soak wadas in water and leave for 1-2 mins. Now, squeeze Wadas between palms to drain water.
- In a serving bowl, first put wadas and cover it with yoghurt.
- Now sprinkle red chills powder,coriender powder,chutnies,coriander leaves.
- Serve cold.....
- Do not boil water too much otherwise your hands get burnt.
- You can stuff these wadas with dryfruit mixture to make kalmi wadas.
- Sugar is optional in this recipe.you can avoid .
- You can give tempering to the yoghurt.for that you need to make Tadka of mustard seeds,cumin seeds ,urad deal,curry leaves.
- Check this recipe tutorial on How to make besan sev at home
- Be care-full while making batter .You batter should be thick so that you can put wadas using your hands. If you can't ,you can use your spoon as well.
- Don't ferment batter more than 6 hour because we don't want to make it too tangy.